How To Record Video Assessments
Some Navitas schools have Video recordings as a part of their assessment during term. If you have questions about the CONTENT of your video assessment, please refer to your tutorer, lecturer or school. If you have questions in regards to recording equipment, video quality, file sizes and transfers, or would like extra tips on recording conditions, please read on.
Jump to a section:
- Where should I record my counselling session?
- What should I use to record my video?
- General Tips for recording
- What format does my file need to be in?
- Where can I get more help
For a good recording choose a quiet, well-lit environment which contains minimal audio and visual distractions.
Here are some suggestions of where you can find these types of environments:
- On campus counselling rooms. If you have access to campus facilities ideally you can use the counselling rooms. These rooms can be booked through Student Admin: via phone, email or in person at the student admin desk.
- Book a room at your local library or community centre. Most libraries and community centres across Australia have rooms which you can reserve at no cost, contact your local council to find out more.
- Book a meeting room in your work place. If your place of work is amenable to visitors and has private rooms available you could request use of a room after hours.
- A quiet room in your home. When using this option ensure that you are in a separate room from children and pets, that there are no distractions such as telephones or people coming and going and in a professional setting. Outdoors is generally not advisable as lighting, sounds and background disruptions can be an issue.
If you are able to use on campus counselling rooms there are recording facilities and instructions in the rooms, these rooms have all the necessary recording equipment. Otherwise you can use the webcam on your laptop or desktop to record your video.
Note: We highly recommend not recording the practice session using phones or tablets device due to the difficulty exporting and compressing your file and, ultimely, uploading your video to your assessment drop box.
- When possible try to use a webcam as your video will record in better quality and produce a smaller file, plus then you will not have the extra step of transferring video file from phones or tablets device to your computer.
- Always run a 1 min test before you make your final recording to review audio quality, the framing of your video and file size.
What format does the file need to be in?
Your file should be an mp4, most devices today are mp4 files as a default so converting or changing the format is not necessary. However if you find that you have a file which does not end in .mp4 you can use video editing software to convert the file. Here are some recommendations software.
VidCoder (Window Only)
Handrake (Mac Only)
Note: Your video file will only need to convert if it is OVER 100MB or in a different format.
Click here for steps guide of how to convert the file by using the recommended software.
Where can I get more help?
If you have any questions, please email: email@example.com or call (02) 9964 6322 between the hours of 8am-7pm Monday-Friday.