Entering a Blackboard Collaborate session
Click to jump to relevant instructions:
- You must install the Launcher the first time you use Blackboard on your device.
- We recommend entering a test classroom and installing the Launcher at least one day before your class, so you have time to call the IT Help Desk if you need help.
- You will need to check your system again every time you update your device's operating system.
Click here to download the Launcher:
If you need further help or information specific to your device, please navigate back to our How-To Guides homepage and scroll down to the section called 'Blackboard Collaborate & Zoom'. There you will find setup instructions for most operating systems. Link: https://howto.navitas-professional.edu.au/
Please note: If you're attending a one-off webinar, for example with Student Learning Support, simply refer to the email you received confirming your attendance. Reply to that email if you need help.
If a unit you are taking uses Blackboard Collaborate virtual classrooms, you will find information on the unit homepage.
Log in to the student portal and go to My Classes. Click on the name of the unit to enter its homepage.
On the unit homepage, the link to enter your virtual classroom may be referred to as: Tutorial, Blackboard, Blackboard Collaborate, Synchronous Meetings or Online Seminars.
The symbol used for Blackboard Collaborate links in your online class space may be a small icon of three people, or a table with three chairs:
(If you see the word "Zoom", you are not using Blackboard; click here for more on Zoom.)
Watch: one common way you may find the link in your unit
The following gifs shows a common way to find the link to from the homepage of your online class space.
The link uses an icon of chairs around a table. Click "Blackboard Collaborate" (or a similar link name).
On the next page, you may need to click "Virtual Classroom".
Click "Join Session".
Finally, in the new tab that has opened, click on the downloaded "Meeting" file to enter.
As mentioned above, the particular words and icons used may vary depending on the design chosen in your unit.
If you're not sure how to find your Blackboard Collaborate information, make sure you post a question (click here for help on posting) or email your teacher directly and ask for help.
How to enter:
- Once you install the Launcher, you will always enter Blackboard by downloading and opening a file called "Meeting".
- Every time you enter a Blackboard Collaborate virtual classroom, you must make sure to go through the link on your unit homepage to download the latest "Meeting" File. You cannot reuse a previously downloaded meeting file; you must enter through your online class space link each week.
Always do the Audio Set Up Wizard:
- It is important to enter at least 5 minutes early so that you can complete the 'Audio setup wizard'.
- You should complete the audio setup wizard each time your enter a Blackboard Collaborate class.
Having trouble opening the pages or finding the downloaded the Meeting file?
- You must enable pop-ups on your browser and check that there isn't a pop-up blocker - for example, you may see a blue bar at the top of the page. If so, click on the bar and click 'Download File'. If you still cannot see the program launching, go to your downloads folder and open the "meeting.jnlp" file. (On most web browsers, press CTRL and J on your keyboard to open Downloads. On Apple Safari press CTRL ALT L.)
If you don't see the page, you must enable pop-ups on your browser and check that there isn't a pop-up blocker - for example, you may see a blue bar at the top of the page. If so, click on the bar and click 'Download File'. If you still cannot see the program launching, go to your downloads folder and open the "meeting.jnlp" file. (On most web browsers, press CTRL and J on your keyboard to open Downloads. On Apple Safari press CTRL ALT L.)
You may see a warning about the application. Click "Run" to continue, as shown below:
For more information, please return to our list of How To guides and scroll down to the Blackboard Collaborate & Zoom section. We have installation instructions for most types of computers, as well as a guide to troubleshooting common problems with Blackboard Collaborate: https://howto.navitas-professional.edu.au
IT Help Desk: (02) 9964 6322, 8am-7pm Monday-Friday.
Out-of-hours support, Blackboard Collaborate: 1800 267 338. (When you call, you may need to select option '1- web conferencing' and option 1 again 'version 11'.)