Computer Standards and Recommended Software
What kind of computer do I need?
Most modern desktop and laptop computers are suitable for the purposes of studying online. Please make sure your computer runs a modern Operating System, Windows 7 or higher, Mac IOS 10.8 or higher.
At a minimum, we recommend the following Hardware requirements:
- Processor: Intel M processor /i5/i7 AMD FX or equivalent
- Memory: 4BG RAM
- Hard disk space: 30GB free hard disk space (excluding space required for the operating system and basics)
- USB headset with microphone (if you attend webinars or virtual classrooms)
- Webcam (if required for your webinars or virtual classrooms)
What kind of internet connection do I need?
Minimum 512k ADSL V1 and V2, broadband connection or cable is recommend.
The internet speed is important for studying online, particularly because it impacts performance on webinars or virtual classrooms.
Below are recommended bandwidths:
- Webinars and virtual classrooms require 600kbps up/down or 1.2Mbps up/down if you chose high quality
- Echo (video stream) requires approximately 50-150kbps
(You can find out your internet speed by going to www.speedtest.net)
Please check your data allowance to ensure you stay within your data plan.
3G Wireless dongles or dial-up internet are not recommend due to the slow internet speed.
Recommended Applications and Software
Internet browsers or web browsers are the applications you use to access the internet. The most common are:
- Internet Explorer 10
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Chrome and Firefox generally the most compatible browser across Moodle. If you use Internet Explorer, we recommend version 10 or higher.
We recommend that you install a second web browser on your computer. This is very useful for troubleshooting since it is common for browsers to develop small issues or have trouble with particular tasks. For example, if you have trouble with accessing a site or streaming a video, you can try using the other browser. That will tell you if the problem is most likely with the web site or with your browser.
The following free download software programs are recommended:
- Adobe PDF reader
- VLC Media Player
- Handbrake 0.9.5 for video compression
- Blackboard Collaborate Launcher and/or Zoom
In addition, you will need a program that allows you to create written documents. Most assignments must be submitted in a Word document format. We recommend Microsoft Office 2007 or higher, however you can also source free alternatives such as Open Office.