Computer Standards and Recommended Software
What kind of computer do I need?
Most modern desktop and laptop computers are suitable for studying online. Please make sure your computer runs a modern Operating System, Windows 10, Mac IOS 13
At a minimum, we recommend the following Hardware requirements:
- PC: Intel M processor /i5/i7 AMD FX or equivalent
- Mac: Intel Core i5-8210Y (dual-core, 4 threads, 4MB cache, up to 3.6GHz)
- Memory: 4BG RAM, recommended 8GB
- Hard disk space: 256GB or more (excluding space required for the operating system and basics)
- A USB headset with microphone (if you attend webinars or virtual classrooms)
- Webcam (if you attend webinars or virtual classrooms)
What kind of internet connection do I need?
Minimum ADSL2+ broadband, Cable or NBN is recommended.
The internet speed is important for studying online, particularly because it impacts performance on webinars or virtual classrooms.
Below are recommended bandwidths:
- Webinars and virtual classrooms require 800kbps/1.0Mbps (up/down) for high-quality video, For gallery view and/or 720p HD video: 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps (up/down)
- Echo (video stream) requires approximately 50-150kbps
- Both the webinar and virtual classrooms can be operated on the mobile internet. However, depending on your area mobile internet doesn’t always run at peak efficiency and this could influence the video/audio quality. If you experiencing the issues we recommended to join local WIFI.
- 3G Wireless dongles or dial-up internet are not recommended due to the slow internet speed.
- Please check your data allowance to ensure you stay within your data plan.
- You can find out your internet speed by going to www.speedtest.net.
Campus WiFi connectionThe campus WIFI uses 802.1X, Devices that do not support this standard will not be able to connect.
For Window 7 device. The Navitas Students WIFI is configured with PEAP and using local users (no RADIUS). The users who on Windows 7 might be experiencing the issues connecting to the WIFI. We suggest using an external device to connect the WIFI. (Example USB WIFI dongle)
For Android device only. Please select "Do not validate" while joining the student WIFI.
All other OS (Apple iOS, Window 10) do not suffer a similar issue.
Recommended Applications and Software
Internet browsers or web browsers are the applications you use to access the internet. The most common are:
- Internet Explorer 10
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Chrome and Firefox generally the most compatible browser across Moodle. If you use Internet Explorer, we recommend version 10 or higher. We recommend that you install a second web browser on your computer. This is very useful for troubleshooting since it is common for browsers to develop small issues or have trouble with particular tasks. For example, if you have trouble with accessing a site or streaming a video, you can try using the other browser. That will tell you if the problem is most likely with the web site or with your browser.
For Mac user, please check and ensure you have the latest macOS and Safari installed to prevent any issues caused by the unscheduled software update such as Echo360 and Zoom.
please click here for a steps guide of how to clear cache and reset the browser.
The following applications might help to make you more productive and is free to download.
- Adobe PDF reader
- VLC Media Player
- Handbrake 1.3.1 for video compression
- Zoom for virtual and hybrid classrooms (The Colleges does not offer student full version of Zoom account. Student can be registered and create own Zoom account via Zoom.us)
Microsoft Office 365 Suite
Students are issued an Office365 suite by the college. The installer can be download from student Office365 account. Please click here for more details.