Announcements and Discussion forums
You will find two types of forums within your online classrooms;
- Announcements are posted by staff only. All students receive an email when an announcement is made in the class because it is important to pay attention to any announcements.
- Discussions are used by both staff and students to start a new discussion topic, ask questions or respond to someone else's entry.
- How do you find Discussions?
- Start a new Discussion?
- Insert links in your post?
- Format your text?
- Add attachments and images?
On the Homepage of a class, click into the 'Discussion Forum', as shown below.
In the Discussion Forum, you can see any Discussions that have already been started.
Click on the subject to view that Discussion. In the below example, you would click on "Forum use" to read that discussion.
To start a new discussion topic, click on 'Add a new discussion topic', on the Discussion Forum page.
Give your Discussion a name in the 'Subject' box, then type in your Message.
You can attach files (such as Word Documents or Powerpoints) by clicking the file icon near "Attachment" and uploading the file from your computer.
Finally, click 'Post to forum'.
The text editor is a large field where you enter your Message. You can type in your message, then use the standard toolbars at the top of the box to edit the text. There are more options available if you click the first button on the left.If you want people to go to a web page in your message, you need to insert a link that they can click on.
So, as shown below, type your message and then select the text you wish to turn into a clickable link. Then, click on the "link" button:
In the pop-up window, type the link (or URL) in the "Enter a URL" field, and then click 'Create link' as shown below:
Now, you will be able to see that your link is underlined and showing in a blue/purple colour, as shown below. This means you have successfully inserted a link, and viewers will be able to click it to be taken to that website.
HEADINGS - To add a heading, highlight the relevant text and select the appropriate heading type from the dropdown from the icon with two 'A's. The default for your text is 'Paragraph', but there are options to create main headings and sub-headings.
EMPHASIS - To place emphasis on some text, select the text and click the appropriate button. You can make the text bold, italicised, underlined, strikethrough, subscript, or superscript. For example,Click B for bold, I to italicise, or U to underline.
LISTS OR BULLET POINTS - You can insert a bullet point or number by clicking the relevant symbols. Or, if you have already written the list, highlight your text and then click the bullet point or numbered list icon.
Don't forget! Scroll to the bottom and click 'Add blog post' (or 'Save changes') when finished editing.
ATTACHMENTS - scroll down to the 'Attachments' section, if available, as shown below. Make sure your attachment is smaller than the "Maximum size for new files".
- Click the file icon (near "Attachment").
- In the "file picker" dialogue box, click the 'Choose File' button.
- If you can't see the 'Choose File' button, make sure you have selected 'Upload a file' on the left side of the file picker.
- Locate the file on your computer. You can use the left hand navigation pane to search different areas in your computer. When you have found the file, click on the file and then click 'Open'.
- Click 'Upload this file' and wait while the file uploads.
- You will see your file sitting in the attachments box.
Make sure you can see the appropriate icon above your file (for example, a W if it is a word document). If you see three pink bars, you probably renamed your file while you were uploading it - try uploading the file again without giving it a different name.
- Click 'Upload this file'.
IMAGES - Make sure your image file is a small JPG or PNG file. Save your image to the desktop or somewhere you can easily find it.
- Click the mouse cursor to the place in your blog where you would like to insert the image.
- Next, click the 'image' icon in the toolbar of the Text Editor.
- Click 'Browse repositories...'
- A "file picker" dialogue box will open. Make sure 'Upload a file' is selected on the left side, and click the button 'Choose file'.
- Locate the file on your computer and click 'Open', then click 'Upload this file' and wait as the file is uploaded.
- Once the file has uploaded, you will see a preview of your image. Check "Description not necessary". Check "Auto size" and adjust the size to suit your forum post. Click 'Save image' to add the image into your forum post.
If you have any questions, please email the IT Help Desk email@example.com or call (02) 9964 6322 between the hours 8am-7pm Monday-Friday.
Attached files: Student-Guide-Announcements-and-Discussion-Forums.pdf