Please note: blogs are utilised in selected counselling courses only. If you have not been instructed to use a student portal blog in your unit outline or weekly materials, this guide does not apply to you.
If you are required to create a blog, it will be available to you from your unit homepage (which you can see by logging in to the student portal, going to My Classes, and clicking on the relevant unit). Every student in your class will have an individual blog. You and your teacher can view other student's blogs and comment on them.
Find your blog
To access your blog in the student portal, go to My Classes and click on the relevant unit.
On the unit homepage, you will see a link to class blogs, for example:
You may need to scroll down to find the link.
Add and format a post
On the unit homepage, click on the blog link and then click 'New blog post', as shown in the screenshot below.
Now you can write your new blog post. Give the post a title in the 'Title' box and add the contents of your blog in the 'Message' box.
How to use the text editor
The text editor is a large field where you enter your Message. You can type in your message, then use the standard toolbars at the top of the box to edit the text. There are more options available if you click the first button on the left.If you want people to go to a web page in your message, you need to insert a link that they can click on.
So, as shown below, type your message and then select the text you wish to turn into a clickable link. Then, click on the "link" button:
In the pop-up window, type the link (or URL) in the "Enter a URL" field, and then click 'Create link' as shown below:
Now, you will be able to see that your link is underlined and showing in a blue/purple colour, as shown below. This means you have successfully inserted a link, and viewers will be able to click it to be taken to that website.
HEADINGS - To add a heading, highlight the relevant text and select the appropriate heading type from the dropdown from the icon with two 'A's. The default for your text is 'Paragraph', but there are options to create main headings and sub-headings.
EMPHASIS - To place emphasis on some text, select the text and click the appropriate button. You can make the text bold, italicised, underlined, strikethrough, subscript, or superscript. For example,Click B for bold, I to italicise, or U to underline.
LISTS OR BULLET POINTS - You can insert a bullet point or number by clicking the relevant symbols. Or, if you have already written the list, highlight your text and then click the bullet point or numbered list icon.
Don't forget! Scroll to the bottom and click 'Add blog post' (or 'Save changes') when finished editing.
ATTACHMENTS - scroll down to the 'Attachments' section, if available, as shown below. Make sure your attachment is smaller than the "Maximum size for new files".
- Click the file icon (near "Attachment").
- In the "file picker" dialogue box, click the 'Choose File' button.
- If you can't see the 'Choose File' button, make sure you have selected 'Upload a file' on the left side of the file picker.
- Locate the file on your computer. You can use the left hand navigation pane to search different areas in your computer. When you have found the file, click on the file and then click 'Open'.
- Click 'Upload this file' and wait while the file uploads.
- You will see your file sitting in the attachments box.
Make sure you can see the appropriate icon above your file (for example, a W if it is a word document). If you see three pink bars, you probably renamed your file while you were uploading it - try uploading the file again without giving it a different name.
- Click 'Upload this file'.
IMAGES - Make sure your image file is a small JPG or PNG file. Save your image to the desktop or somewhere you can easily find it.
- Click the mouse cursor to the place in your blog where you would like to insert the image.
- Next, click the 'image' icon in the toolbar of the Text Editor.
- Click 'Browse repositories...'
- A "file picker" dialogue box will open. Make sure 'Upload a file' is selected on the left side, and click the button 'Choose file'.
- Locate the file on your computer and click 'Open', then click 'Upload this file' and wait as the file is uploaded.
- Once the file has uploaded, you will see a preview of your image. Check "Description not necessary". Check "Auto size" and adjust the size to suit your forum post. Click 'Save image' to add the image into your forum post.
Edit or delete a post
You can return to your blog at any time from the blog link on the unit homepage.
To edit one of your blog posts, simply click 'Edit' at the bottom of the post. To delete a post, click 'Delete'. The location of these options is shown in the screenshot below.
To add a comment to your post, or to view comments that your fellow students or teacher have made, simply go to a blog post and click the comments link at the bottom of the page, as shown below.
You will see your complete blog post, followed by any comments that have been made by your classmates. You can click 'Add comment' to comment as well, and you can click 'Delete' to remove your comment. The location of these options is circled in the screenshot below.
Please note that you will be unable to edit comments.